Monday, March 23, 2015

A Brew Review - Grayton Beer's Franklin County Stout

Franklin County Stout
Grayton Beer Company
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

7.2% abv Oyster Stout


Stout: a dark beer made using roasted malt or roasted barley, hops, water and yeast.
Oyster: a common name for a number of different families of saltwater clams, bivalve mollusks that live in marine or brackish habitats.

Now that we have a couple definitions laid out in front of us, we can start talking about beer. You may be thinking, I know how Stout relates to beer, but why oyster? Well, that’s because today, I am drinking an Oyster Stout. The awesome people at Grayton Beer Company hooked me up with a bottle of their Franklin County Stout, a 7.2% abv beer brewed with oysters. Yes, real, bivalve sea animals. I’m going to be honest, I was looking forward to trying this because I like the brewery and the people who work for them, not because it’s an Oyster Stout. I don’t like seafood, but I love beer  especially Stouts, so I had to give it a try. This week’s Brew Review features this unique style. Stouts are one of my favorite styles, so I may be a little harder on this beer than I would, say a Kolsch.  Let’s see what it’s all about...

Appearance…

I was Impressed as soon as I poured the brew into my glass (sorry I don’t have a Grayton Beer glass). A thick tan head formed effortlessly on top of the dark, jet black brew. It retained that beautiful head for a decent amount of time. After a few minutes, the foam dissipated but left a nice, khaki ring around the top of the liquid. I wish there was a little more lacing, and  I did notice a lot of sediment on the bottom of my glass after the beer sat for a little while. It is a good looking beer, but I wish there wasn’t so much stuff hanging out on the bottom of my glass. 7/10


Aroma…

I love the smell of a good Stout, and this beer smells like a good Stout. Rich, dark chocolate notes are accompanied by the typical roasted coffee scents you find in a quality Stout. But that’s not all that is there, a smell something else too. I get light amounts of cinnamon and a little lemon. The more the beer warmed up, I also got a little chili pepper vibe and some salty brininess. I really enjoy the smell of this beer, I hope the taste matches. 9/10

Flavor…

This is a key factor when it comes to a beer. People want a beer that taste good above anything else. Flavor here is not an issue. When the beer was still cold, I got lots of rich velvety dark chocolate. If the flavor was to end there, I would have been happy. But it didn’t, it gave me a lot more and that’s not a bad thing. As the brew warmed up, I started to get some flavors that matched the aroma. The salty, briny flavor started to poke its head out. That paired, again, with a light lemon note. One thing is for sure, as the beer warms up, it really warms up. I got more of the chili pepper spice on my palate as well as the back of my throat. I didn’t however, get any oyster flavor and that’s not a complaint. 8/10

Mouthfeel…

This beer was spot on when it comes to mouthfeel. Thick enough for a 7.2% beer, but not super sticky. I guess you could call it right at the beginning of what would be considered heavy. The carbonation is also right where I like it for the style. The body was in as good of shape warm as it was cold. 8.5/10

Overall…

I was a little skeptical at first. An Oyster Stout? I know it’s not a new style, just one I’m not too familiar with. Grayton Beer Company did a really good job with this one, and it’s a beer I would definitely drink again. That is if Andrew will give me another one. It’s not available in Alabama yet, but I hope that changes. My overall score of this black libation is…

8.25/10



No comments:

Post a Comment