Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Your Weekly Review - Brown Shugga' From Lagunitas Brewing Company

For you guys who don't know us, we like beer. We drink a whole bunch of this stuff. We have weekly beer budgets, we even schedule our family vacations around our favorite libation. Here at Bham Beer Buzz, Craft Beer is our way of life. Three Craft Beer enthusiasts combine to be B.B.B. and between the three of us, we drink the majority of beer available here in Birmingham. That being said, we want to share some of our tasting notes with you guys. We are NOT beer experts! We normally drink so much in one sitting, we can't remember the details of the beers we drink. Due to our poor memories, these reviews are for us, as much as they are for you.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company 
Brown Shugga' is seasonal beer brewed in Petaluma, California by Lagunitas Brewing Company. Lagunitas is one of our favorite breweries in the country. Everything they brew is ridiculously solid and consistent, not to mention how economically friendly their price tags are. 22 oz. bomber bottle retail for less that $5.00, and sixers are usually around nine bucks. I hope that this brew excites me as much as some of their others do, lets see how this Strong Ale checks out.

Appearance...

Beautiful clear, dark copper color with a nice tan/off white colored head. The moderate lacing looks great in my new Piggly Wiggly glass. 9/10

Aroma...

Dank, very very dank. Light grapefruit notes, swallowed by dense, pine resin aromas. 9/10

Taste...

Holy cow! Sweetness is the first thing I notice. Brown sugar followed by a ton hops. First I get some spicy and almost lemon grass like flavors. As huge as this hop profile is, it's actually pretty balanced. The essence of citrus and pine, the same as the scent, are there to round the gigantic flavors on your palate. 9/10

Mouthfeel...

This feels like a nice IPA. This beauty is fitted with a medium body and great carbonation. As sweet as it is, it finished pretty clean, with just a light alcohol bite. 8/10

Overall...

I have yet to find a beer by these guys that I didn't like. This beer is no different. Kinda sweet, very hoppy, and 9.9% abv, I really enjoy this beer. If I could change anything, I'd make this available all year not just seasonally. I give this glorious brew a...
9/10


2 comments:

  1. I had that beer last week, and it was pretty good. Myself, I really didn't remember being hoppy like how you described but I do remember the sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't think it was hoppy? Man I got tons of hops, on both the nose and flavor. I find that all Lagunitas brews are super hoppy, I like it that way though. Cheers!

      Delete